40-50% of onboarding execs fail in the first 18 months, costing $2.7 million.
1. Start early - Get working on the plan well before the person's arrival
2. Conduct assimilation meetings with peers and direct reports in the first week.
3. Develop a formal onboarding process. Most businesses do NOT have one.
4. Talk about the culture - the customs, beliefs, behaviors and assumptions
5. HR should manage the entire onboarding process. Don't leave this to chance.
6. Discuss expectations early on. Agree on reasonable goals and objectives.
7. Hit the ground listening - not running or demanding. Slow your roll.
8. Appoint an internal mentor to teach the politics of the place.
9. Appoint an executive coach to provide a safe sounding board.
10. Conduct regular assessments to find out how it's going with the new exec.