Outstanding Corporate Citizen of the Year (Mid-Size Business)
1. Why do you believe CSR strategy is important for a company?
Being actively involved in the community and helping raise awareness of important causes that impact not only those in need, but the entire community is critical to our role as citizens. As a business, we feel it is extremely important to be aware of our responsibility at every level.
2. Do you believe that the CSR work you participate in should be affiliated with the work you/your company does? For example, should an Oil company’s CSR be in cleaning up oil spills?
Van Metre is very involved with HomeAid Northern Virginia, an organization that is very involved with our industry, as well as many others that are not. It is important to be involved with various organizations so that we can be more aware of the needs of the charitable communities we do business in.
3. What makes your company stand out compared to other companies participating in CSR?
The passion and determination of the Van Metre employees to be involved in our community and be personally involved with impacting lives makes us unique. The company focuses its’ philanthropic activities on those areas where we can really make a difference. We want to see our community, and those in it, prosper!
4. Do you believe contributing back to the community allows your company to have a deeper connection with its clients/customers?
It definitely does! The Van Metre 5 Mile Run, which supports Children’s National, takes place in Broadlands each year, a community built by Van Metre Companies. This allows many of our homeowners to participate and support such a great cause.
5. What are some events or causes that inspire you and your team?
The Van Metre 5 Mile Run, for Children’s National and the annual Cornhole Tournament, which benefits HomeAid Northern Virginia, are two of the top events that we do each year. Many volunteers from the company, including trade partners, and many from the community come together to organize and support these causes. It is a very humbling experience!
6. What advice would you give to companies trying to participate in CSR?
To go for it! There are so many organizations in our community that support great causes and impact our everyday lives. It is important to be knowledgeable of our community need and to do our part to support and help those in need.