Innovation Finalist Series:
Charles E. Nahabedian
CEO, Medex Spot
1. In your opinion, what makes a company innovative?
An innovative company is one that makes a great first impression by finding a large and growing problem or need, then solves it and implements a market preferred solution in a new or unique way.
2. What makes your company innovative?
Not only optimally solving a problem, but also planning and designing for market and industry acceptance, quality service, operations, and profitability.
3. What or who are some innovative companies or people that inspire you and your team?
Steve Jobs, Minute Clinic; Revolution Health, 3M, J&J, Kaiser Permanente
4. What are some publications, print or digital, you read daily or have read that help you stay on top of your game?
These could be books, magazine, blogs, e-newsletters, etc. In random order, Fierce healthcare, Fierce healthcare IT, Becker’s Healthcare News, “The Creative Destruction of Medicine”, “Good to Great”, “Leadership”, “Leadership and Self-Deception”
5. What advice would you give to up-and-coming leaders striving to be innovative in today’s business environment?
Chart out a problem or need with all its implications and understand all the ways that it is addressed today. Explore new ways to address the problem using your organizations’ unique capabilities, different strategies and technologies, distribution channels, and customer engagement? Prioritize the solutions by cost, customer satisfaction and other relevant market parameters. Do not be satisfied by selecting the top two choices A or B, but seek a solution that encompasses A & B.