Outstanding Corporate Citizen Awards Non-profit Nominee
1. What is your mission and vision? The Children’s Science Center’s mission is to instill a love of learning science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) in all children by providing unique opportunities to explore, create and be inspired. Our vision is to create a world-class children’s science museum.
2. How does your organization achieve its mission?
The Children’s Science Center delivers on its mission in three ways. First, by bringing the science center to the community by taking mobile exhibits to schools and venues across the region. Second, by being open every day to families and school groups at the Children’s Science Center Lab in Fairfax. And third, by working to fulfill the vision of a full-scale, world-class children’s science museum to be built on donated land in Dulles, VA.
3. How have your programs directly impacted the regional community?
In 2016, the Children’s Science Center served over 71,000 visitors across the region. The Center exists to serve all children! We reach nearly half of all Title I schools in Northern Virginia and provide unique outreach programs like Latina SciGirls. We work with other non-profits like shelters and hospitals to provide the Center’s educational resources to the children and families they serve.
4. What inspires or drives your team to stay committed to your mission?
Seeing the happy faces of children and their parents and grandparents, all loving learning together.
5. What advice would you give to other nonprofits trying to make an impact in their community?
Stay true to your mission and seek every opportunity to engage the community in helping to fulfill it.