Joe Meyer, Executive Director & CEO
1. Why do you believe CSR is an important part of your personal brand?
CSR expands the opportunities available for us to further our mission. From a nonprofit perspective, we are able to advance our funding. It also allows us to develop strategic partnerships. The ongoing and far reaching efforts bridge the divide between "who's responsible" for the well-being of the community and the people who live and work here.
2. Do you believe that the CSR work you participate in should be affiliated with the work you/your
company does? For example, should an Oil company’s CSR be in cleaning up oil spills?
I don't think this isessential. When it comes to Human Services, this impacts everybody. Every field in every sector can find a fit to help fellow community members. Having a safe and prosperous community means being education on the needs of those living, working and playing in our neighborhoods.
3. Do you believe contributing back to the community allows you to have a deeper connection with your
YES. Being highly knowledgeable about your business one thing. Knowing the issues your community is facing exemplifies awareness of how companies can "profit" for the entire community.
4. What are some events or causes that inspire you and your team?
Tours of local homeless shelters. Participating in "drives" to meet critical needs of the community. Having a day of service to give back to a charity.
5. What advice would you give to individuals trying to find a cause in which to participate?
Join the Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce! Connect with other business leaders who are giving back. Educate yourself on the most critical needs of your community. You don't have understand everything about an issue before taking a leap of faith to become involved.